Monday, April 18, 2011

Race Recap: Seaton Trail Mud Puppies

Date: April 16, 2011
Location: Seaton Trail, Pickering, Ontario
Distance: 29K
Weather: Rain, 4C
Trail: Out-and-back, single-track, muddy and wet. Mostly flat, but quite a few huge hills, a crazy river crossing, and did I mention mud? Everywhere.
Time: 3:43
Place: 2nd F, not sure overall

Was totally excited to run this race, not nervous at all. Despite the cold rain and slick mud I had a complete blast. Great people, it was nice to see everyone. Legs felt great, I thanked my physio Stacee in my head about a hundred times. I also thanked my well-tractioned Crosslites too many times to count. I like this length of race, I didn't carry anything except a few gels stashed in my gloves, and wasn't in a state of desperation with hours yet to go. Weird. Nice.

The weather was nasty, but I kind of like that for running. I felt bad for runners in the the longer races and especially the volunteers and organizers though. (It was a dangerous day out there if things went wrong...kudos to John M for helping out a runner in serious trouble, and then helping the runner's family too.) I saw Derrick three times on the course, and due to the timing of our starts and his shorter second section out, we finished up nearly at the same time. We had thought about the possibility of that happening, but figured the odds were against it. It was great to be able to see him finish and win his first race after the year off. Loved the dog-shaped medal and paw-printed t-shirt.

Bottom line: This year we put the Mud in Mud Puppies. Feels great to be back!

Results and photos will be here.

14 comments:

Derrick said...

Brutal conditions...but fun! So great to be back out there racing again together. Already looking forward to what's next!

Sue said...

Well a big congrats is in order for the both of you. So glad the injuries are behind you both and you had a great race.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Sara and Derrick Congrats to both of you. B

chris mcpeake said...

Well done.
It was crazy but fun for the most part.

Eliza Ralph-Murphy said...

Great that it went so well for both of you. Instead of the desperation what were you feeling?

Sara Montgomery said...

EJ - Non-desperation?
Okay...happy. That's a better word. :)

Sara Montgomery said...

Lame I know... Can't I think of a better word than 'happy'? Monday brain fog + post-race brain fog.

Eliza Ralph-Murphy said...

"Happy" is good. It's hard to improve on "Happy". Unless perhaps it is "Happy-Doodle-Dandy"; ) Does running in the rain and mud make you, "Happy-Doodle Dandy"?

slowrunner said...

big congrats to both of you!!! nothing wrong with getting dirty !!

JD said...

Wasn't it nuts? Fun though. Good race!

Sara Montgomery said...

Thanks everyone. :)

EJ - I finally thought of a better word - surreal, in a good way. As in 'I can't believe the day has finally come when I can run for this long and feel good doing it'. It was a long and frustrating haul, but it's so sweet to turn it around. So I guess surreal mixed with a whole jumble of stuff. Aren't you glad you asked me a simple question?

William said...

Way to kick some butt! Most importantly..glad you enjoyed yourself!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Sara I just read your article in Snowshoe Magazine. I love it I felt like I was snowshoe running with you. Beautiful photos, very inviting. B

Leslie said...

Yiiii-haw! Sarah and Derrick are baaaaack! (congrats!)